Thursday, May 29, 2008

France!!

The famous Arch de Triumph in Paris! Victorious captains would lead their troops through this arch when returning to Paris. Napoleon was one of the many names written on the wall for leaders going through...that was pretty neat! Julia, Mary and I decided to make our own tower of triumph...yes, people stared, and the Asians took pictures...





The first full day we had in France we took the train out to the Palace of Versailles. Inside is where King Louis XIV made a palace to live in outside of Paris (where he had been living in the Louvre). We saw the art galleries inside this place, their royal bedrooms, and the famous room of mirrors. It was beautiful. But what was maybe a little more impressive was the garden found outside of the palace... You could get lost out there!

The famous room of mirrors






Of course we had to stop for goodies on the way...



Outside the palace there are stat


The ugly stepsisters dreaming of our palaces above...



Yes, the gardens go ALL the way down the walk behind where Nellie's standing...past the pond way back there...

Julia's future summer residence...




I found a snail and thought I'd pocket it later for dinner... and yes we had escargot while in France.



We had to PEEL Julia away from this man...

I liked the trees.


Eiffel tower at night

It was pretty windy up there, but the view was sooo cool! I almost saw West Plains from up there!


Julia doesn't like heights.

I don't know what I'm doing with my face...

Sistas!



We hiked up the first part of the tower, as far as they'd let us. It sounded like a good idea when we started at least...

We knew we were in trouble when Julia crouched into the fetal position...heights aren't her thing. And she wants to go SKYDIVING?!?!

MERNIE

Julia's good at cool photo views.

Paris!


The Venus in the Louvre. I don't know if you can tell but I got this amazing idea the night before to have us all put our hair in braids so we could have crimpy hair...I think we'll all agree we looked like we put our fingers in the light sockets...frizzy disasters...Or at least all of us except for mary, her's turned out quite nicely...

The Winged Victory. Mary's favorite piece in the Louvre. The sculptor is unknown but they found in in the bottom of the ocean. It used to sit on the front of a large ship. It really is an amazing piece of art.

The combining of "modern" art with the older stuff. I actually don't like the triangle in the middle.

Trying to look like Marilyn...


Taking a breather.

We played a game where we'd pose as some of the statues around us. The three muses was our favorite. Good job girls!

Outside at one wing of the Louvre

Oh silly Nellie!

Inside the Louvre, the older part of it used to be an older fortress. They built around it when they made the bigger part of the Louvre. It's cool to see the older stuff inside it...crazy crazy French people!





We decided that Julia looks a ton like this sculpture.

Again, we learned our lesson about the hair...don't judge...


Notre Dame!!

Julia knows SO much about art and architecture. It was so nice to have a personal docent around to tell us about EVERYTHING. Such as in the picture below, it is an example of the Rose Windows. Very famous. I was proud of myself for remembering about the Flying Buttresses...I just forgot that they were a form of GOTHIC architecture. Every time I saw an archway I'd ask if that was a flying buttress...luckily Julia was able to set me straight...

More rose windows, also they were having a service when we went in so we got to see the incense burning and hear a beautiful boys choir sing for a while.






It rained on us a TON! Nellie and I hid inside a phone booth for a short burst of torrential rain...we forgot our raincoats that day...


Julia laughed at us...

It's water...


Desert was fun!

Sunset in Paris around the Seine River!


Snails! Julia I believe liked them.

Inside the Concierge. They imprisoned Marie Antoinette and a couple other big names in here. There were some cool prison cells. You could get different grades of cells according to how much you could pay them.


Frog Legs! We tried to eat food specific to the Country we were in so of course frog legs are a delicacy out there.



After a few days we threw out Mary's Carb counting book and estimated on our own. I'd say we did a good job!


The River Seine. I thought it'd be cool to go walk along it. Julia thought it'd be funny to try and push Nellie in... I'm the nice one..



2 comments:

Angie said...

I am dying to go to the Louvre... I loved these pics too! And I love that you guys tried the native food. Nice..

Hailie said...

Did you guys not go into the pain festival inside the tents at Notre Dame?? They were weaving baskets out of bread, it was amazing. And tell Mary that the winged statue of victory was my fav as well. And don't you guys eat frog legs in Missouri? Once again it looks like you had a really good time. I can't wait to see pictures from your other destinations!